For Superbowl Sunday, or for any informal gathering for that matter, instead of automatically dipping into artery-clogging and preservative-laden concoctions, try this nutrient-rich dip that can be used in a variety of ways. This non-dairy, natural sauce that was launched out of the vegan-mecca of Portland in 2010 is a fantastic substitute for the standby nacho cheese dip. Use cold as a dip -in a seven layer recipe or by itself – with veggies or chips, or spread it on crackers or bread. Or, use heated, mixed with salsa and other fixings, nacho style or even with pasta for a new take on mac and cheese. Made with chia seeds that are rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6, calcium and fiber – plus carrots, potatoes, onions, cashews and nutritional yeast, it delivers a satisfying, punchy cheesy taste and indulgent consistency making it just as much of an addiction as the preservative-laden, dairy-based varieties. However, it lacks the cholesterol, transfat, food coloring, additives and preservatives of other popular dairy-based brands. In fact, it packs added vitamins and minerals versus just empty calories, so though it may cost a bit extra, it’s worth it. The chia seeds are actually responsible for the thick consistency while this sauce is cold, and when heated, the sauce will thin out a bit. Still, make sure to pair with hearty bean or non-GMO multi-grain chips (see last year’s recommendation here) that will stand up to its thickness. So this close of football season and year-round, remember to swap cheesy for chia – it’s a game changer.
Heidi Ho Veganics™ Chia Cheese Sauce photo: © 2014 My Conscience, My Choice LLC
Tostitos® Smooth & Cheesy Flavored Dip photo: source Garden Grocer
- No animal-derived ingredients
- Locally-sourced, all natural, organic, sustainable ingredients
- No transfats; only cold-pressed oils used
- No preservatives
- No artificial flavors or artificial coloring
- No fillers or additives
- Recyclable glass and metal packaging
Bonus: Fortified with vitamins and minerals, gluten-free, no cholesterol, low fat
Note: this is a highly demanded product that is a bit more difficult to procure on the U.S. east coast so we suggest communicating with the online retailers listed below to order.
- This product is currently being rolled out at multiple Whole Foods locations. Call your local store beforehand to confirm inventory. For other locations, click here.
- Vegan Cuts (check back periodically with the site for their 3-pack special discounted offer or place a request).