If you thought your tinted SPF moisturizer was doing it all as a beauty muti-tasker, think again. BB and CC* (even “DD”) creams have been all the rage and are probably here to stay in the near future to perfect your complexion. This cruelty-free, preservative-free, organic, antioxidant-rich “Complexion/Color Corrector” is a must-have tool for a gentlewoman’s beauty arsenal. A “juice” base of resveratrol-rich grape seed, vitamin-rich aloe and citrus is used in lieu of water (which dilutes) or petroleum (which blocks pores) and infused with a proprietary blend of fruit stem cells and vitamin C to yield anti-aging results. Like other multi-tasking creams in this category, it conceals imperfections and evens out skin tone while providing a host of other potential benefits as a 12-in-1 product – such as hydrating, firming and protecting, diminishing the appearance of pores and fine lines and producing a radiant, even glow that helps to diminish the appearance of dark spots. The clinically-validated anti-aging benefits include repairing DNA damage of skin and increasing turnover at the cellular level. In addition, the blemish clearing benefits are also clinically validated∧. Skin is protected from future damage with antioxidants and titanium dioxide that provide broad-spectrum sun protection rated to SPF 30+ . Both mineral-tinted shades self-adjust to complement most skin tones∞ for coverage that looks natural – not orange- and feels weightless∨. After trying this you’ll have more than “a dozen” reasons to remain loyal to this product and, “to BB or not to BB” will not be a question!
Note: A previous post: “A Cruelty-Free BB” posted on 10/17/2012 has since been removed as a featured product alternative since Boscia has recently decided to sell its products in China, a country whose government requires animal testing on cosmetic products from outside its own country that are to be sold there but is thankfully in the process of phasing it out as a requirement for its own domestically produced cosmetic products. My Conscience, My Choice continuously monitors, and if applicable, updates its recommendations should a brand’s stance on animal testing or environmental friendliness change, or if it elects to substitute synthetic or potentially harmful ingredients in place of previously-used natural ingredients for a specific product.
* Both BB creams and CC creams are tinted moisturizers containing sun protection. Originally hailing from Asia, BB cream stands for blemish balm, blemish base, or beblesh balm (apparently because of a copyright in Korea on the word “blemish”), and in Western markets, beauty balm. Mainstream and larger beauty brands are increasingly introducing BB creams to Western markets. “CC Cream” was coined after the marketing term “BB Cream” or Blemish Balm cream or Beauty Balm. There is no scientific definition for either term, nor is there quantifiable basis for difference between BB creams and CC creams: differences between the two vary from brand to brand. “CC cream” is used by some brands to mean Color Control cream, or Color Correcting cream, and some brands claim to reduce the appearance of skin redness or sallowness or to improve uneven skin tone.
+ The Protection Grade of UVA (PA) system is a grade to measure the UVA protection a sunscreen provides. This is a moderate sun protection product according to labeling.
∞ The product is offered in mineral tinted shades of “Natural Glow” or “Warm Glow” so be sure to check that the semi-transparent coloring will work with your skin tone. The brand recommends “Natural Glow” for fair to medium skin tones and “” for medium to dark skin tones. Hopefully, the brand will consider broadening the shade selection to very light and very dark since both of the existing shades are closer to the middle of skin coloring range. Note: This recommendation is based on testing this product on medium to dark olive skin tones.
∨ Use a foundation brush or blend with your fingers and rub in well for best application. As with any base make up, let dry for about five minutes before dressing to prevent possibility of transference. Follow up with bronzing powder or blush if desired.
∧ Age-Defy & Blemish Clearing results showing an 85% reduction in free radical skin cell damage and 94% blemish clearing. Source: Juice Beauty
L’Oreal Paris® Visible Lift CC Cream photo: Source Drugstore.com
Juice Beauty® Stem Cellular Repair CC Cream photo: Source Juice Beauty
- Cruelty-free; no animal-derived ingredients
- 98% certified organic ingredients; non-GMO, pesticide-free
- Chemical-free without silicones, petroleums, parabens, propylene or butene glycol, sulphates, PEGs, TEA, DEA and phthalates
- No synthetic fragrances; only organic and natural essential oils used
- No synthetic colors; tints are mineral-based
- Recylable packaging printed with soy ink; box uses sustainably-sourced paper, use of recycled containers
- Made in U.S., from ingredients sourced at California organic farms; Using local West Coast organic ingredients limits transport fuel waste. Solar-powered manufacturing operations.
Proceeds from sales of products are donated to different charities on a monthly basis such as: The Breast Cancer Fund; The Organic Center; Teens Turning Green; EWG; and the documentary, "Miss Representation".