Back in the 1920’s, a small grocery store owner invented the more familiar chocolatey drink as an addition to a fruit juice line that he already sold in New Jersey. Now, almost a century later, originating also out of New Jersey, is an organic (and low glycemic!) alternative to this classic that is free of animal-derived and processed ingredients, refined sugars, additives and preservatives. Instead, it is simply made from coconut butter, chia seeds, raw hempseeeds with cocoa powder and coconut palm sugar*. Per serving, it contains roughly half the sugar content as the popular chocolate drink and other chocolate milks and makes use of raw coconut palm sugar. Further, it is soy- and gluten-free and contains non-GMO ingredients**. Still, it tastes smooth and sweet with a rich chocolate flavor. And, the 8 oz size serves as a great lunch companion. If you want to feel like a kid again but have the sense of an adult (and want to hopefully pass that sensibility to your children who will love this beverage!) be sure to try this modernized, sustainable chocolate “milk” that “hits the spot” independent of any dairy or artificial anything. It’s chock full of chocolate and other goodness for kids and adults alike.
*Ingredients not listed in descending order.
**For those without nut allergies or sensitivities, there is also a chocolate “milk” variety made using almond butter. Note: though this product does not contain nuts, gluten, egg, soy and dairy, it is produced in a facility that also manufactures products with peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat and soy.
- No animal by-products
- No high fructose corn syrup or refined sugars
- Low glycemic
- Organic ingredients
- BPA-free, recyclable packaging
- Does not contain gluten, nuts, dairy, egg or soy
- Though this product does not contain nuts, gluten, egg, soy and dairy, it is produced in a facility that also manufactures products with peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, wheat and soy.
- Antioxidant-rich ingredients
- Local, tri-state producer
- Organic Basic Foods LLC (Hoboken, NJ)
- Bean Vault Coffee (Hoboken, NJ)
- A&I Nutreats (order from website for local pick up; check back for nationwide distribution.)